Sunday, April 13, 2008

Happiness

Yet again I've gone some time without posting, I keep saying that Ill post more but I never do. Never the less I'm writing this because I kinda want to get it off my chest.

I'm not sure where I stand in Parkour or my movement. Recently I've been training quite hard, very hard in fact. As a result of this I have sustained quite a few injuries. I won't go into them and none are too serious however they have all kinda bunched up on themselves leaving me not 100%. Because of these injuries (and I think also from over training) I've decided to rest. I'm not sure how long for, may be a few days, may be a week. But I've decided just to listen to my body and continue training when I feel like it.

Through this period in my journey I've taught allot about how I move. When I first started Parkour (and now I'm sure all of you can relate) it had a certain feel to it. I think its because we were discovering something new. Never before have we been exposed to this way of moving. As time progresses we get exposed to more of this movement, it becomes common to us (not exactly second nature) but we know how it feels to move like this, we become accustomed to it. We also experience different forms of this movement and are exposed to a wider variety. From Blane, to Daniel Ilabaca and 3run, to Brad Moss. All these forms are different but somehow the same to what we are used to. In a constant search to regain the feeling we first had at the start of our journey we explore these ways of moving. We experiment with flips and different movements and somewhere along the way we "loose" the bases of where we started.

Now I'm not writing this to annoy or prod and I'm definitely not saying that we should not experiment with different movements. Were all different, we all come from different backgrounds and all have different interests. All I'm saying is that we should move how we want to move. Now I know that sounds stupid and that right now you're saying "well why would we move like this if its not what we want to do?" But I ask you. How many people wanted to learn flips and tricks because they saw it in a Daniel Ilabaca video?

Just a little edit. I think most of us wanted to learn flips and tucks because they saw them In a Daniel Ilabaca video (I certainly did) Daniel Ilabaca and his movement is a huge inspiration to me, I have met him once and hope to meet him again in the future. His philosophy on Parkour and movement is very deep and meaningful and one I try in every way to follow in my training and I think saying what I just said was wrong, but its the only way that I can think of ending that so Ill just leave it.



I know that for me my training goes in stages (not good and bad training) But training where I focus on Parkour and then decide to try a few flips. Now I must say that cannot flip in anyway. I blame it on the fact that I haven't been to a gym to try them, but I think the real fact is deep down I just don't want to do them. The point in time of my training where I try to get flips and tricks feels very different to my training periods where I focus on Parkour. In these periods I end up hurting myself, causing unnecessary injuries and all the time not getting the same enjoyment as I do out of Parkour. Now this is purely a personal experience and one that may (and probably will) change in time and I'm only writing this because it might help some of those who might be in the same predicament as me.

Ive just read over what I wrote and feel that I might have come across in the wrong way. Its hard to put the feelings in our head into words and even harder to try and get the right point across on the internet. I would just like to say that through posting this in no way do I mean to say don't experiment with movement. All I'm saying is that we should do what makes us happy. In every way we should push and break the boundaries but in no way should we reach a point where doing what we love makes us feel un-happy

Now I want to end this on a progressive note so I'm going to post some recent training pictures, but remember train safe, train hard but most importantly train what makes you happy.











No comments: